When you have been newly diagnosed with AS or a related condition, the associated social, functional, emotional, and economic consequences can be as challenging to manage as the disease itself.
SAA's Network of PEERS (People Educated and Empowered to Rise above Spondylitis) was developed to help people newly diagnosed with spondylitis manage some of these challenges, find a non-judgmental outlet to share experiences and voice concerns, as well as to learn how others are managing spondylitis.
This program will match Mentors and Mentees -based on criteria important to the Mentee, and offer a chance to build trusting mentoring relationships where support and understanding are paramount.
In order to Enroll in the Program as a MENTEE, please:
- Complete the Network of PEERS Mentee application (click here for Mentee Application).
- Participate in an informal interview process conducted by Programs staff.
- Review the Program Guidelines and Information for Mentees (click here for Guidelines).
- Agree to the SAA guidelines for enrollment in the program and sign a Network of PEERS Volunteer Mentee Agreement.
In order to Enroll in the Program as a MENTOR, please:
- Have a confirmed diagnosed form of spondylitis from a rheumatologist.
- Complete the Network of PEERS Mentor application (click here for Mentor Application).
- Be a member of SAA.
- Be managing their spondylitis appropriately (e.g. regular exercise, working with physician, etc.).
- Review the Program Guidelines and Information for Mentors. (click here for Guidelines).
- Participate in an interview process conducted by Programs staff.
- Have good listening and communication skills.
- Be able to set appropriate boundaries.
- Agree to the SAA guidelines for enrollment in the program and sign a Network of PEERS Volunteer Mentor Agreement.
NOTE: If you would prefer a word document of any of the applications, please email email@example.com with your request and we will send you one.
Please send your completed application to Elin Aslanyan, Programs Manager:
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- By mail to SAA, 16360 Roscoe Blvd. Ste 100, Van Nuys, CA 91406.
- Or by fax to 1-818-892-1611, attention to Elin Aslanyan
Once we receive your application, we will review it and contact you to complete enrollment.
If you have any questions about this program, please contact Elin Aslanyan by email at the address above or by telephone at (800) 777-8189, ext. 222.